- This event has passed.
Julia Morgan: An Intimate Biography of the Trailblazing Architect with Victoria Kastner at The Mount
July 18 @ 4:00 pm - 5:00 pm$30.00
In its 29th year, The Mount’s annual Summer Lecture Series highlights recent works of memoir and biography. Join us for an eclectic mix of stories about historical figures and contemporary underrepresented voices.
Victoria Kastner‘s new biography—featuring over 150 archival images and full-color photographs printed throughout—introduces Julia Morgan as a pioneering architect and a captivating individual. This compelling biography draws on interviews, letters, and Morgan’s diaries, including never-before-seen reflections on faith, art, and her life experiences. Morgan’s friendship with Hearst, her passion for California’s landscape, her struggles with familial dementia, and her devotion to architecture reveal her to have been a singularly brilliant and determined artist.
“Handsome and comprehensive . . . Victoria Kastner’s words, along with Alexander Vertikoff’s photography, provide a sweeping overview of Julia Morgan’s vast, versatile body of work. You’ll want to get a hard copy of this book; e-readers don’t do justice to the photos or the layout. It’s a volume to hold in your hands and savor.”
—San Francisco Chronicle
The Mount is a Massachusetts Cultural Council UP designated organization welcoming participants of all disabilities. Please contact The Mount at 413-551-5100 or by email, firstname.lastname@example.org, to discuss accommodations needed to participate fully in this event.
- $25 Mount Member, $30 General Admission
- Tickets are available for Mount members on Wednesday, May 11, with sales open to the general public on Friday, May 13.
- Not a member? Contact Allison at 413-551-5112 to find out why Members Make the Difference.
- All lectures will take place in an outdoor, open-sided tent. We look forward to seeing you rain or shine!
- Books are available for purchase through The Mount’s Bookstore before and during the event.