While traveling through Switzerland by train in 1896, Julia and her three companions visited the Château de Chillon, a medieval castle on the eastern end of Lake Geneva. Julia retained the ticket receipt among her papers. Set on an oval island, the Castle’s layout echoes the island’s distinctive shape. Its northern side was purely defensive, but its southern side was a palatial residence, with Gothic windows overlooking the lake and mountains. In 1887, this former prison, palace, and armory officially became a museum. Ten years later it was systematically restored, but on her visit Julia saw it in much the same condition as had such distinguished tourists as Jean-Jacques Rousseau and Victor Hugo.